Monday, April 10, 2017

Proper Hurdle Stretching to Increase Flexibility

I did some hurdling over the weekend. One of my favorite stretches during my early hurdling days from 8th grade until my freshman year of college (1979-1984) was the "hurdle stretch" -- used to stretch the hamstring muscle.

To perform a hurdle stretch assume a seated position and extend one knee at a 45-degree angle from your hips, thus resembling the position a track athlete has when clearing a hurdle. Position your other leg straight out in front of you. Reach along your straight leg as far as you can. If you are able to reach your ankles, grab them and relax. Otherwise you grab the farthest point of your leg that you can and relax.

Unfortunately, over the years it has been determined that the hurdle stretch carries a higher risk for injury than other stretches do. The hurdle stretch forces sideways motion of your knee joint, which is designed only to flex and extend. The awkward torque on your bent knee places strain on the tendons and ligaments of the joint. Safer stretches place your body in a good anatomical position and isolate the muscle you are stretching.

You can modify the hurdle stretch to make it safer and less stressful to your knee joint. Instead of assuming a hurdler’s position with one knee bent at a 45-degree angle behind you, fold the leg you are not stretching so that the sole of your foot is tucked against the inside of the thigh on the leg you will be stretching. From there, bend forward to perform the stretch.

The hurdle height for my age group (age 50-54) is 36 inches. In high school I raced over 39-inch hurdles, and in college the height was 42 inches. This weekend I decided to set up a hurdle at 42 inches to see if I could still clear it. Well, it took some stretching and a few tries, but I eventually was able to get over it. Hurdling on grass may be safer if a fall occurs, but it truly isn't ideal for trying to hurdle a 42-inch barrier. I much prefer being on a track surface with spikes. Regardless, it has been a couple of years since I hurdled a 42-inch hurdle and it felt good to do it again. It sure makes the 36-inch height seem far more manageable!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: